I’m finally back! :D (and Part I of Transforming an Ugly ’80s Bathroom on a budget.)

I am shocked that today, the 20th of February, is a month to the day since we closed on our house… and that I have basically abandoned this poor blog for so long due to the move!  I just now set up my computer, and writing this post is the first thing to do online.  (Of course I’ve been browsing via phone and iPad meanwhile, but writing had to wait.)  Right after this I’m off to Amazon and rareseeds.com to make some purchases wish lists  that have been on hold.

Moving is the worst thing I’ve ever gone through, but everything is improving slowly now.  The weather has been causing a lot of trouble on top of things (like having the move cancelled hours after they were to show up since they forgot to inform us the night before that the storm would indeed cause a problem…)  Now we have realised that most people don’t buy a home and move in the winter NOT due to holidays but probably in consideration of the crappy and unpredictable weather.  Makes sense.  Duh.

Thankfully the increasingly arctic temperatures have at least put a stop to the heavy snows, and I’m not killing myself shovelling instead of getting things done.  Everything finally been unpacked or repacked and stored carefully for dealing with later.  I’ve done some painting although no room has been entirely completed.  I’m jumping from project to project as energy, materials, and ideas permit (and my husband’s requests for certain things to be made ready.)  I am very happy, but I haven’t been this busy in a decade.  All the work has even burnt off ten of the extra fifteen or so pounds that I’d put on lately.  W00t!

So, today I’d like to begin by posting Part I of our master bathroom transformation:

While the house we moved into is mostly lovely and technically move-in ready, I can’t leave anything alone, and besides that the master suite was added on in the mid ’80s.  No one ever changed anything in the bathroom since then.  It’s… not our style or colour scheme at all.  I actually moved my showering to the main floor’s bath just to escape, but my husband doesn’t mind the setup for showering.  Neither of us is keen on the tile or much else and plan to make a dream bathroom some day.  Some day being far away toward the end of the two-thousand-teens I really wanted to make some “temporary” improvements.  Although new tile and perhaps a fancy change to the tub, toilet, vanity,and shower must wait some things can be done now or soonish:  paint, something to improve the vanity, a new faucet, and maybe even some details like the toilet handle, switches, towel bars, window treatment, and towel bars all can be changed to vastly improve and update the room this year.

Here is a before shot of the vanity area.  I’ll share others of the bath in later posts.  Right now many of my clothes are piled in the bathtub since the wardrobe boxes had to be emptied before the movers left, and I was out of space until I construct a new PAX closet… anyway…

Before vanity

Note the lovely, plastic and chrome faucet topping the gorgeous, off white formica and “distressed” golden oak vanity.  😉  We aren’t a fan of the tile colour either.  At least the cultured marble is a nice white.  I can work with that.

I opted to leave the cabinets to the side of the mirror on the wall.  I don’t love the idea or them, but I told myself to let them be and decide later.  My plan was to paint all of the oak trim since it was in poor condition and to paint the walls a shade to work better with the tile colour.  The white was alright, but some sort of a sage or something could make it look more intentional and hopefully more pleasing to us.  For the trim I wanted a darker colour, and I figured I’d make a mix with plaster for homemade chalk paint?

Choosing the colours was tough.  There were four strong contenders, and I preferred the darkest (“greycliffe”     ) best.  Eventually I talked myself into going light, because we tend too much to very dark around here, and it is a bathroom after all.  I still kind of regret it, but changes can be made in the future.

choices

The greenish one was too green for my husband since he has a bizarre and deep hate for any and all green.  “Polished limestone” and “dusty miller” won.  Optimistically I thought that I’d have the whole room painted by evening yesterday.  Ha.  Ha.  Instead the priming seemed to take a lifetime, and I gave up on meticulously painting the oak only.  See here, the moment I said fuck-it.

giving up

All primed:

primed

By the time I had to clean up and rush to the train station I’d just about finished.  To be fair there were touchups required, but I was *done,* yay!  Unfortunately it was dark and photos didn’t work out well.

After vanity last night, done

In the morning it looked much better.

After vanity in the morning lightAfter vanity

The plan had also included painting the mirror frame, but it turned out to be paper backed and a pain to take apart.  I stuck this one there for now and expect to just buy something better eventually.  If I take down those cabinets I could get a big frameless mirror then use nice moulding to trim it out, for example.  We’ll see.

Stay tuned for Part II and other house posts!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s