When I moved in to my husband’s flat I had a lot of improvements in mind. While the apartment had a lot of space and character there were some things which could use a bit of a facelift and better functionality for my personal style. The bathroom was pretty horrid, but the kitchen could use some work too, I thought. 😉
Here is the only “before” shot I seem to have:
The chipped floor really got on my nerves even if the cabinets, counters, and the rest were alright if not amazing. That floor, yuck!! (You are reading the blog of a woman who installed ceramic tile in the last two flats she rented, because… I have something against vinyl.) Given that he owned the place it wasn’t crazy, but we also wanted to keep the project as cheap as possible.
I suppose that hideous stick on tiles would have been the cheapest option, but they wouldn’t please me any better and do not hold up well. Tile of any sort was out of budget, so I decided to stencil after seeing it online. I was inspired by Lovelyetc, and I shamlessly stole her paint colours and all. Just look at how many beautiful things pop up at the very start of a Google image search for stencilled floors:
Inspiring, isn’t that!
I began tearing up the tiles and the plywood beneath it which was in poor condition:
Then I bought a cheap orbital sander and began the messiest, worst, most awful part of the job:
I recall that I used “chimney smoke” as the base colour, but I forget the lighter grey. It is the one Lovelyect suggested though. I also followed her advice on Varathane, but it appears that I did not prime first. Umm. That’s… embarrassing. Hmmm.
I don’t know why I did not prime, but I certainly will next time. There IS a next time, because I already bought supplies for the next stencilling project. I even re-purchased the stencil, because I lent the other to my mother. (She used pale lilac and purple to create an entirely different look in her attic.) Of course I considered choosing a different design, but this one really is my favourite, and my husband agreed.
On to the non-primed base colour:
The next day I taped the border and began. Positioning the layout is a big deal, but I eyeballed it. What is really important is to go over the edge of the tape with the base colour to prevent ugly bleeding.
That is as far of an After as I can show right now, but I do plan on another post about the kitchen transformation. …But here are photos of my sister-in-law’s hallways from when I stencilled them for her: