Two completed dresses! (More Alabama Chanin for babies.)

IMG_2919

Look at me!  I’ve been posting and I’ve finished two little dresses!  Yesterday and today Monday and yesterday I even altered some patterns and cut out a couple more pieces to have them queued up for sewing.  (However, I probably haven’t cleaned quite as much as usual or put away any laundry all week, oops.)  So, I was working on the pink wrap dress that only had a tiny bit left to stitch, and that is done.  Let me write in more depth about it…

The pink dress was made as a test for my own, conveniently used scrap fabric, and will be nice for Mini to wear once she is done crawling.  It did work out well in jersey, and I don’t need to change anything about my pattern.  Hers could do with less width in the front panels, and I already made a new pattern piece to eliminate an inch.  Otherwise I love this little dress!  I even like the dusty pink now.

Here are some of the me-sized original versions of the dress as it progressed.  It began as a loose tunic initially, then I made a longer dress with more fullness and sometimes a belt (not shown,) and I turned it into a more fitted and flared medieval inspired dress before finally getting to a more form fitting wrap version recently.   The photos aren’t too good with wrinkled fabric and a less shapely mannequin, but they’ll have to do.

It was fun to do a more elaborate (yet simple without embellishment) dress than the a-line t-shirt style I’d been getting bored of.  I think the design is really cute and more unique and worthwhile to put the work into.  Of course it takes longer at every step and requires so much fabric that most t-shirts cannot be used to make it.  Sigh.  It seems that every shirt I grab, thinking “gorgeous colour, yes, this one!” is too small.  It’s disappointing.  I’ll need to seek out some really big shirts and can’t wait to get back to the thrift store.  Thus I also worked out a new pattern and tried it.  I completed the first of that style bodysuit-dress today  yesterday too!

I really love this one!  The grey is lovely and with the A.C. type stitching looks so interesting.  I’m looking forward to getting Mini into it and hopefully making more to fill out her wardrobe.  It’s hard to sew fast enough though.  After making this test one I’ve discovered little things to change about the shirring.  It can easily be eliminated to fit into more thrift Ts too.  This pattern eats up a lot of “yardage” too, so this is important although I prefer a little more width personally.   Upon trying it on her for a photoshoot I now know that the dress portion must be shortened more for crawling.  Drat.  I already cut out the next dress, and I hope she’ll be able to wear it before growing.  The entire point was to have things to wear now, so ugh…

I’ve cut another out in deep red and also squeezed in pieces for a matching bolero.  I used blue-grey scraps to make the bolero two layers.  Now I’m in the middle of cutting a scrolling stencil to use on it.  I’ll do a running stitch and reverse appliqué and outer felled seams?  Although, after cutting the stencil more I’m considering using a different one.  Once that is settled I’ll baste the layers together and get to the fun.  Here is the way I fit the pattern pieces onto the T-shirt:

 

I don’t have any more photos so, in the interest of actually getting to post this, that’s all for now.

2 thoughts on “Two completed dresses! (More Alabama Chanin for babies.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s