Last time I wrote here I was about to begin making a bumblebee Halloween costume for Mini. I didn’t get a change to write again while working on it until a day or two ago and opted to just finish everything first instead so that I could try for a photoshoot before the weekend.
It went as planned except for the wings. Instead of using wire and pantyhose I ended up sandwiching super sparkly vinyl sheets together, and I am pleased with the result. If making them again I’d probably change the design slightly, but I definitely prefer them to the wire frame sort for this particular costume. The sparkle is great for bee wings, I think. Anyway, the vinyl stuff had adhesive, and I stuck it to some Tyvek for extra strength. I’d have used black craft foam sheets if I’d planned better, but I hadn’t purchased any. For my own costume I ought to, because larger wings will droop too much otherwise.
The bodysuit and bolero were easy thanks to plenty of practice. I’m glad I found out about Alabama Chanin in time to use the techniques for baby clothes! I think that it makes the costume much more special.