Mini started going to nursery school twice a week this fall, so I’m beginning to have some time on my hands. (Kind of. Ha!) While I have actually been working on various projects in the months since I last posted I have not been able to make writing a priority. I’m here now though, and I hope to get back with increasing frequency going forward. On to the costume!
Recently I’ve felt less motivated, inspired, and more pressed for time, so I was going to re-use Mini’s bumblebee costume. Unfortunately I couldn’t find it despite doing some major sorting and reorganising. The idea of a swan costume struck me suddenly, and it seemed wiser to quit wasting time searching for the old costume and make a new one. I’m so glad it worked out that way, because Halloween has always been something I look forward to creating for, and it would have been a shame to waste the chance.
I thought a swan costume could re-use a lot of ideas from the bumblebee, and that made it seem doable. I knew what I was getting into time-wise and with the construction except for a headpiece. After a trip to Joann’s for tulle and to scout out other materials I had some ideas, and I decided to start with the headpiece to get it out of the way. First I tried making some crude sketches and then dove into it. It came together more quickly and easily than I ever expected, and in just an afternoon the headpiece, (maybe it could be called a fascinator… I’m not sure,) was done!
After that I made a pattern for layers of feather-like pieces for a wing shaped cape to attach to a bolero which would be worn over a bodysuit all sewn with my now familiar patterns in Alabama Chanin style. The wing cape pattern was quick to draft too. I’d ordered some white cotton jersey sheets from Amazon in advance, but I regretted not going for a black swan when I was doing the rest of the shopping at Joanns. There I decided to merge some aspects of inspiration photos in a way nature does not by adding some black tulle to the mix of whites (matte, sparkle, and shimmer.) This continued by using more black in the fascinator than a white swan ought to have had, but I am happy with how “swan” the ensemble reads, and I think it is prettier than it would have been if I stuck to reality. Going with fantasy is so fun, I keep learning.
Mini didn’t want to wear the fascinator until she saw what other kids were wearing at our town’s costume event this weekend, so I only have a couple of shots with it worn properly. I think pinning it to the wing cape wasn’t too bad either, but it was pretty darned cute worn on her head.
For the inspiration I just did a Google image search for swans, and here are some photos I referred to while making decisions:
Starting with the fascinator:
On to the wing cape:
Bolero, wings, and bodysuit:
And the tutu:
It was a really fun project!