I expected that my next post would be about the tiling projects from December/January, but that can wait. Yesterday I painted the nursery and just about completed it (aside from another coat of trim paint on part of the panelling and work on the windows.) This room has been the most ridiculously involved painting project I can remember doing. It seems like I’ve been patching, caulking, caulking, caulking, brushing, and more for ages. Judging by the timeline in photos, I have been!
At first I’d planned to paint this room with a colour matched gallon of deep blue that I purchased in the fall. It was dark, and I doubt I’d have picked it on my own, but L loves dark blue, people have remarked since we bought the place that it was particularly lovely, and it happened to go very well with some linen curtains I’d scored at a thrift store some years ago and finally had a chance to use. However, it is a very dark shade which sucks away the light. Most of the main floor of the house is done with dark paint, and I’m sometimes regretting that fact. Then it became clear that instead of being a guest suite we’d be turning it into a nursery for MiniMonkey.
I still thought I’d just use the blue paint, and it didn’t bother me whether girl or boy. I just hoped the kid would like dark blue! But… soon I was thinking how nice it would be to plan something from scratch: something lighter and brighter. When I asked L about it (expecting he’d prefer to stick with what we had due to preference for the colour and to avoid buying more paint) he said it was a good idea. Still, I didn’t jump on it. The ceiling paint was in poor condition, and I knew I’d have to begin there. I despise painting ceilings, I really do, but there wasn’t any avoiding it.
There was so much prep-work to tackle first. The crown moulding had gaps all around and needed caulking. It was the same with the trim of the panelling too, and it really took forever to get to the point of painting, because I dutifully primed it all too. It wasn’t only the panelling to prime and coat a few times with ‘coconut ice.’ Only the entry door had been (mostly) painted after moving in, and I had to do the bathroom and closet doors. Actually, the windows have yet to be primed and painted except the parts along the drywall. Once spring finally arrives I must remove all the ugly motion sensors, fill the holes, and paint when they can be opened.
A few weeks ago I grabbed some purplish paint chips while at the store. I’d been feeling fond of purples and aquas for a while, but aqua seems tough to get right (besides, L doesn’t like green and considers many aquas too green) and would be more difficult to coordinate well with the ’60s blue tiles in the bathroom. Only one chip looked decent at all. Another could have been nice elsewhere but read a bit too tan in this lighting. I left it up for a while, and L immediately agreed to it when I showed it to him. He answered so fast I’m still skeptical that he could have even seen it, but he always has been extremely quick to judge that he likes something. 😀
We had just found out Mini is a girl when I showed him the colour. (Uh, hopefully the accuracy of that determination isn’t called into question later, because I’m very set on her name!) Again, we were fine with a light purplish shade for either, but it does push the envelope a bit now that I’ve seen the entire room in it. It’s so very… PASTEL and infantile, but then again it is a nursery, heh. In a few years I can slap on the blue again or something else. I do like it, but it is quite a change!
Now I’m just waiting to furnish and set up the room, but I do feel I ought to wait. As much as it would be nice to start setting up the crib I might as well let more time pass. So far I’ve removed the antique dresser and am hoping to refinish one stored at my dad’s, and I bought a laundry hamper. That’s it. I may or may not try out the new positioning of the bed shortly, since it must be moved for painting. I haven’t any ideas for decoration, but I removed the curtain rods at the last minute and will likely do shades instead. It’s very much a work in progress…
The only thing that caught my eye for decor was that I remembered seeing mounted butterflies on eBay years ago that were very pretty. Then I was at Home Goods and happened to see a beautiful shadowbox arrangement thing made of them and beetles. I was stunned when I saw it and gleefully eyed the red sticker indicating that it was on clearance, but then I saw the actual price and sighed. $250 was not happening. So sad. I took photos instead. I also saw a pretty carpet. There aren’t really any plans to get a carpet, and I have no idea if I’d want one that looks like this, but I liked it enough to take a photo. (It is too feminine, I think, unless I’d used pale grey as the wall colour.) Those butterflies though! Sigh…